To be effective in Great Commission work, a local church ought to have the following:
1. A deep conviction about evangelism. The church must develop a heart for the lost and a passion for the gospel.
2. A church culture that in which fulfilling the Great Commission is central to the mission of the church. This priority should be evident in every aspect of church life.
3. An equipping ministry that trains believers to effectively share their faith and use their gifts in kingdom work.
4. Sufficient opportunities to be involved in missions and evangelism.
5. Complete dependence on the Holy Spirit for the success of the mission.
I will break up a more detailed discussion of these points over several posts. In the mean time, feel free to comment. (For those that prefer an alliterated list, here you go: To be truly missional, a church must have a Driving Conviction, a Dynamic Culture, a Developing Competence, Deliberate Connections, and a Dependent Confidence.)